Thursday, March 24, 2011

My favorite techniques!

I have to say I have enjoyed all of the techniques so far...except the one where we have to picture a wise person to identify with. I struggled greatly with that one. But for me the two best were the visualization and meditation. I really enjoy the visualization technique because imagining being in a place other than where I am is easy to do. The sound of the ocean has always been a source of relaxation and I have spent many nights sleeping right on the beach as a child and young adult. So looking at a picture of the Caribbean or a peaceful beach somewhere takes me away to a place where my stresses and day to day struggles do not exist. I think this is a useful technique to teach to people, especially those are who are not quite adept at mediation or haven't even really thought about becoming adept at it. The phrase "Calgon take me away" sort of sums it all up. We all want to be taken away to a land of peace and tranquility. We just need to figure out where that is and create it in our mind.

The other practice I enjoyed is the breath meditaion. All of these practices are a form of meditation but the breath meditation is one I am comfortable with and have practiced before. It's also a way to get in touch with my body and it's inner working because because the movement of my breath makes me very aware of the rest of the movements of my body and gives me a way to focus on that instead of my thoughts that are constantly trying to intrude. This is exactly why I would encourage my clients or patients to use this technique. It is much more natural for us to become aware of the movements of our body. At least this is a place I would start with someone who was interested in learning how to meditate as a stress reliever.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bridget,

    I completely agree with you about the visualizations. Those are the ones I enjoyed the most as well. I am a very visual person so I think this is why I was drawn to these assignments. At the time of doing the breath meditation I did not enjoy it as much. However, over the weekend I took a yoga class and I think being away of my breath really helped me in that class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bridget i really enjoyed reading your blog this week and have to say i too agree with the choices you have chosen. Meditation is the best for me and i know i have to add this to my daily life more to help keep me relaxed and at ease with all of lifes hardships and struggles. As for the second one you chose the breathing meditation goes hand in hand with meditation technique and this is what i like the most of the two. In order to get a great workout mentally and physically you have to keep your breathing under control as well as a mental picture of what needs to be corrected throughout your life and keep an overall picture of it in your head. Once you see this it can be used as an example to lead you into a life you never thought could be attainable. So breathing and meditating are two wonderful exercises that can help you reach your goals and change your life forever. Great post and best of luck with the remainder of this term ;)

    ReplyDelete